Every month, we conduct a shore and underwater cleanup at the classic local dive site, Beach 8th Street in Far Rockaway. While shore participants focus on cigarette butts, microplastic, and other trash, divers take their cutting tools to work and focus on ghost fishing gear. There is even a prize each month for "strangest find".
- Make sure to reserve your spot - there is a limited amount of rental equipment made available through the DIVERS-ity Initiative Organization (this excludes filled air cylinder: bring your own or rent one of ours for $15).
- We will remove recreational trash from the underwater, as well as cut out ghost fishing gear.
- Certified divers only who are comfortable diving with a buddy (not necessarily a dive professional). If you need a refresher, please schedule one BEFORE the Beach Cleanup.
- Nondivers of all ages are welcome to join the shore cleanup!
- We will be picking up trash from the sand, focusing on microplastics, recreational trash, and cigarette butts.
- Don't forget sunscreen and a refillable water bottle!
- Trashbags and gloves provided by the DIVERS-ity Initiative organization.